Friday, June 16, 2006

"Customer Service"

Anyone who knows me knows that my biggest pet peeve is poor (or no) customer service. I do completely understand that some accidents happen and that everyone will "screw up" on occasion. The trick to customer service is [1] mitigating the risk of such an accident or mistake, and [2] how you will "make it up" to your customer.

On the other hand, at least in my eyes, the past two years my eyes have been opened to poor customer service of a seemingly blatant nature. A few examples:

  • I went to Mrs. Winners on West End with Chris the other morning. I said to the Fast Food Order Acceptance Engineer, "I'd like two chicken biscuits with cheese and two large sweet teas." The FFOAE responded, "Two chicken & cheese and two large sweet teas. Thank you, drive around." I proceed around to the window where I'm told my total and pay. When the bag of food is put in my hand the bag is open and I see no evidence of yellow through the wrappers (read: no cheese corners). Chris opens one of the wrappers to reveal a chicken biscuit sans cheese. When I inform the FFOAE that there is no cheese she says, "Oh, I forgot to ring that up, that will be eighty-seven cents." So, let me get this right -- I ordered, you confirmed my order, gave me the total, and now you still expect me to pay you to fix your mistake?
  • My father recently purchased a new entertainment center from Rooms-to-go which was delivered with cosmetic flaws. When he contacted Rooms-to-go customer service they said a replacement would be sent. When the replacement showed up it also had the exact same problem. He told the delivery driver he had to make a call to RTG before they unloaded it -- instead, they drove off. RTG's offer for all of this trouble? A $30 certificate toward other merchandise.

These examples may seem anal, and perhaps I sometimes am when it comes to customer service -- but these are weekly occurrences. Of course, there are FFOAEs out there that are excellent -- though if the FFOAE at Subway on 21st Avenue asks me one more time if I want my sub "heated or toasted" I don't think I will be able to restrain myself. Toasted, please, hold the heat.

No comments: