Thursday, April 17, 2008

Today's Student, Tomorrow's Worker

As many of you know, I work in the IT field. Last year I searched Google 5,617 times, composed over 5,000 emails, and read 3 printed books. This is interesting to me, because though I'm not yet a father, I wonder about the quality of the education my future children, and your children, will receive. Many classes today still teach the same way I learned -- I sat in a class of 20-30 students, with a printed textbook, and listened to my teacher speak or show me transparency slides. Today, the textbook is outdated the day it is printed and those static slides won't keep any child's attention. So, how are you kids being challenged and engaged to learn in the 21st century? Have you spoken to the teachers yourself and made them answer the question?

Please take 15 minutes to watch the two videos below. It's not about how they will learn in the future. I think they do an outstanding job of opening your mind to what your children face TODAY.

Watch: Did You Know? 2.0

Watch: A Vision of Students Today

Have a thought? Comment below. /jab

No comments: